16 ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO ANSWER IF YOU WANT A WEBSITE
Do you need a website? There is no question about it. To compete in today’s uber competitive market you need a strong online presence. We are not just talking a Facebook page. If you run a local business, regardless of your geographic target area, you’d better be thinking online, social and mobile. The first component – and perhaps the most essential – of this strategy is your company website.
When you go to the local computer software company you need to be ready to answer the following questions:
- How can we help you?
- Your answer should be clear, simple, and understandable – “I would like a (new) website for my business, or I would like a redesign to my current website”.
- Describe your business in a few sentences and tell us more about the products/services you offer.
- This is essential because the web developer needs make the picture about your business (what kind of business you have (local, national, international), the sector/industry)
- What kind of website does your brand need?
- Here you need to present your picture that you have imagined about your ideal website to the web developer. Sharing your ideas and the smallest details are particularly important step for developing the perfect business web site!
- What is the #1 goal of your site? You should check with one of the bellow answers.
- List building (Representative)
- Selling the product
- Number of products you are selling.
- Who will enter your products?
- Booking a service
- Do You Any Special Hosting Requirements (domain name or hosting account)? explanation: Web Hosting is an account on a computer (aka server) that can store and serve website files via the Internet. Domain Registration is leasing a human-readable word (e.g., amazon.com) that directs people to specific website files via a browser.
- Yes No
- Is this website for a new or established business?
- Yes No
This information will help the web developer to know if you have a brand already made. This question may lead to another question: If it is a new business, do you have a logo? because the web developer will need to collect all the necessary content and information to build you the necessary website. In the case where you do not have a logo, they will offer you the possibility to make you a new logo or redesign the current logo.
- Do you already have a website? If it is a new established business, you may need a website for the first time or you may want a redesign on your current website. If you answer with yes, the web developer will ask you what is wrong with your current website? (ex: look, performance, content, hosting company, user experience)
- Yes No
- What would be the navigation on your new website? How many pages should be designed? If you do not know how many pages should your website have, check our blog: How Many Pages Should My Website Have?
- What image, look, or feel do you want your brand’s website to portray? Do not be afraid to tell your ideas, even if they sound crazy to you, they will help the web developer a lot!
- Do you have specific company colors that need to be used?
- Yes No
- What Is Your Marketing Strategy? Do you have a marketing specialist, or you want us to do your marketing? Explain to the web developer what would you like this website to accomplish, what is your goal: Get more customers? Brand awareness? Get more leads? Grow your social media following? Or maybe get more sales from repeat customers?
- Do you have social media? Answering this the web developer will know what the current situation is following your brand on the internet. If you have you should specify which one (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube)
- Yes No
- Is there any existing research data we can use? For building a website you need to provide with content (text, pictures). In the case where you do not have pictures, he can recommend you the company’s photographer to come and take pictures. Also, you need to answer if the content and/or images be solely your own or will there be copyright issues?
- Will video or audio be a part of the new website? This will help to the web developer to know how much hosting space will need to be allocated for them.
- How collaborative would you like to be?
- Finally, you need to answer What is your time frame for total project completion (a year, month or weeks)?